Thursday, August 13, 2009

Meteor Shower

WOW! What a show Tuesday night.

Tuesday night was just what the doctor ordered. For those of you who didn’t know, just like I didn’t know, was the peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower. This particular Meteor Shower is an annual shower that takes place every August around this time.

I was outside having my last cigarette for the night before getting ready to go to bed when I looked up in the sky and seen a Meteor. It was so bright that when it fell behind the tree line, it illuminated the trees. Thinking to my self, “Wow, a person does not see that very often,” another Meteor appeared in the sky. I decided that there must be something to this (not very often you see two Meteors in a row). So I logged onto the internet and sure enough…………..

I quickly went to my son’s room, forget my other family members, woke him up and told him that we are going to watch a Meteor Shower. He looked at me and said “What’s that?” He got dressed and we went out onto the patio together. He just kind of stared out into the darkness and said “I don’t see a Meteor Shower.” I just looked at him and laughed. I told him that it was not like a rain shower and that he needed to look up into the stars and just wait, a meteor will appear. Sure enough he seen one go by. He didn’t look all that impressed and said “I just seen a shooting star and I made my wish, I am going to bed.” With a smile on my face, I told him that was a meteor and he was going to see more. His face had the biggest smile and we got our blankets and we stayed out side for almost two hours watching the show. I figure that we had seen at least one meteor every 10 to 5 minutes

***************
We had one of my sons friends have a sleep over/ Meteor shower party last night. After I got my little one to bed, I took the boy’s out to a quiet area and watch the meteors. They had lots fun with the flash lights and being side in the dark at midnight. We had seen lots of meteors but as not spectacular as the night before. Still we had lots fun.

No comments: