Tuesday, August 19, 2008

collections

Does this makes since?

I just got off the phone with a collection agency that I have been dealing with for about 4 months now and they just informed me that their client is now claiming that I owe them more money then what was agreed to when I started making payments to the collection agency. My dept with this agency was $361.60 and I have sent them postdated checks and they have been cashing them like all good agencies should. But according to their client and they claim that they have just been informed today, that my dept is $600.00 and something.

Now of course this collection agency would say, yes I agree with my client (and they did), A contract is a contract and you should contact them. But then I started thinking, the company that I have dealt with took my account to collections saying that I owe them the $300.00 and after a month frustrating mail from this collection agency that they had hired, I make contact and agree to make payments on what was told to me was my dept. And now they want more after an agreement was reached.

So after thinking about this, I got on the internet and I found the collection agency web site and I have down loaded their brochure and I was a little shocked at what I found. According to them, in 8 steps the can resolve an issue for their clients. It was the first step that took me for a surprise.

Step 1: Account is Assigned
An account can be submitted by fax, mail or email at any time of the day. Once we receive the account you will be sent a client acknowledgment form to verify all information is correct.

So this is saying that this company, who had hired them to go after me, was sent a verification form and I am sure that it was filled out with the amount of 361.60. So here is my problem. Do I pay the extra 300.00 that is claiming is owed or do I say look, We agreed on the first amount, this is what you told the collection agency was the amount owing, I have made all the steps on my part to deal with it, it is kind of to late to ask for more money?
What would you do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would close all my Bank accounts, live for cash only, and change my phone numbers.

Because most don't fight collection agencies, and hardly anyone challenges their contracts with lenders and financing companies, these thing go unchecked. You could write and ask for an itemization of monies from the original parties, but that would mean creating effort--and most people don't like to waist their time in these matters, such as letter writing.

Then there is little this thing called interest that accumulates on the debt owing. There are three main types: fixed, focused and dynamic. The worst being dynamic, i.e., credit cards.

I would pay them whatever they want and never put yourself in that situation again, even if that means never buying with credit again period.

JM said...

Thanx for the advice here, but my blog posting was very minamul with details with this one, I was just blowing off steam. But let me assure you that this has nothing to do with banks and credit cards. It was for a service provided. But with the people who know the whole story are telling me not to pay the extra monies. Something along the lines that a new agreement was made when it went to the collection agency and because the agency was acting on the service providers behalf.
I am not sure what I am going to do with this, But for now I am going to try to settle this the best I can.

Anonymous said...

Awh... I was just generalizing. I know so many people who are now in a similar situation that I seem like I sound like a endless loop mp3 file. :p