Friday, June 5, 2009

Would we have to move?

When I was a small child I remember moving across the country, twice. From British Columbia to Ontario and then Back again. Once back in British Columbia it was moving to 3 different small towns in a period of 3 years (if my memory is correct). But before I was born I had heard talk through my older siblings that my parents where always moving, never ones to stay in the same spot for very long.

Could this be because they were looking for the work hot spots? Could it be that they became bored and needed change? Could it be because of Recessions? What other factors were involved? I really can't say, but I do believe the huge moves were Recession related. I don't really remember the 80's and the 90's - to busy being a kid, but here I am thinking about the realization that my family may have to move. We just had bad news today that is work related with my husband - the company that he was working for had just lost a huge contract. If that contract came through it would of meant that he would of been working again. But now as it seems, more good people will now be laid off.

This will be a month of uncertainty for us. I know that after I am done my course in 3 weeks I to will have to look for work, I know I will find a job in no time because my new skills are in high demand, but I would be starting casual and I would have to work my way up the ladder before I am in the door with permanent days and hours with what ever company that will take me. But would that be enough? I am really not sure not so sure anymore. It is almost like I had took my course one year to late.

I don't mean to put a damper on anyones day by bringing up the horrible "R" word. But this is where my thoughts are at the moment. Maybe I am in a small state of panic and things are only looking bleak right now in this moment. Maybe at the end of the day this thought of mine will disappear and go to the place where all bad thoughts go - never to be thought of again. (That would be nice.)

Bye - Bye Horrible thought!!!!

2 comments:

Thomasso said...

Damn right we moved around a lot. I remember that every move was work related, and Dad was always searching. The only time that there was a long period of stability ( about seven years) was when he started the home business, but that ended when the 1982 recession killed that. It took Canada almost four more years after that to recover from those times, and it just so happened that it was a Conservative government was in power to? Connection? that was around the time that you moved to Ontario.

You gotta move to find work, then that's what you need to do. That's the Canada way. We migrate the most off all industrial countries to move to where the work is. So, look beyond your borders.

JM said...

The possibility of moving is on our minds, but we don't really want to give up our place.....Big "D" is finding small jobs with his internet add and he learned that there are 21 extra cruse ships comming to Victoria during the summer, so he feels that playing the Keyboard on market days would bring in some extra money. We just found out that some of those guys performing during the market can bring in $700.00 in two hours.