Friday, July 3, 2009

Lazy Summer Days.....

Even Though I am not much for the idea of Sun worshiping, I do love watching the children play and frolic in the Sun rays, all lathered up in sunscreen, playing hide and go seek in the trees behind my house. I hear the odd cry of "That's cheating," and a snicker under my living room window from the outside "She will never find us here." And when they all stop playing their game, all Rosy faced and tired. I know that this is the time of the day when the sun is at its hottest too take the posy of boys and a girl down to the river. It never fails to amaze me that when other children looking from the inside of their own houses looking out their windows to see a person with a big bag of towels heading toward the river trail; how fast they come and join my little posy. It never fails. Never. I Had 7 children in tow by the time I reached the beginning of the trail that leads to our little private beach.

I like watching them play their water games and rock games. I try to join in but when I do, I get strange looks from the children - A reminder that I am an adult, a person of authority and have no place in the games of children. So I sit on the rocks and watch them play. One the the games that the children like to play, a game that is more to torment the younger children; a game that I dub the "Mommy - Daddy" game. In this rock game the older children will find rocks of different sizes. A big one being "Daddy." a medium one being "Mommy" and a small one being "Baby." The child collecting those rocks would chant a little diddy saying to the younger children. "Here is Daddy. Here is Mommy. Here is Baby." He would then the throw the Rocks and say. "Here goes Daddy. Here goes Mommy. THERE GOES BABY!!!" The younger children would react by putting their hands over their faces in mock shock that the family of rocks are gone. How dare you hurt the family of Rocks! They would run off and try to save the lost family rocks that had been thrown.

Yes....These are lazy summer days, Days at the river, Days in the trees. A time for parents to create the magic of Summer. Hotdogs and Watermelon. Sunscreen and Sand.
Lazy Summer days.

No comments: