Friday, October 10, 2008

A Man's Heart

There is a saying: “A way to a man's heart is through his stomach,” and I couldn’t agree more. One of the interesting aspects of my relationship with my partner is that we are what you would call an inter-racial mix. I am Canadian and he is Russian. And believe it or not our two cultures are very different from one another; everything from Religion to food. Every now and again he and I have to improvise with one another to make our relationship work and blend our two cultures. So as a result we celebrate two Christmases, New years and a couple of holidays. And as for food, I do go way out of my way to give him a taste of home. Yesterday was one of those days.

I prepared a dish called “Perminee.” It is like a Perogee, but with out Potatoes. This dish has a meat mix inside. Perminee is a very tasty dish to eat, but very time consuming to make. I made 130 Perminee and it took me 4 hours to do it. Plus I had to walk to the nearest store to pick up milk, so add an extra hour.

When I came home from the store, I noticed that he had called twice on his lunch hour. I called him back and he asked what I was doing, (he was bored) I told him that I was getting the kitchen ready to make some Perminee’s. He said “Ya-right, you are now.” Kind of like I need to see it to believe it. Any ways time moves on and I have flour every where in the kitchen, all over me and my daughter had destroyed my house. My son came home from school, he help make a couple Perminee and before I knew it, it was Supper time and I had just finished up with the last of the Perminee.

The phone rings. It’s the Russian. “What are doing?” he asks. I tell him that I am getting ready to eat Perminee. “You made Perminee!” I tell him that I had told him earlier that I was going to make some. “You made Perminee!” he asks again and the next thing I heard was “I love you!” So you see, it is true, the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

Happy Friday!

3 comments:

Me, a single mother was wife now widow solo in this thing called a life said...

you go girl next time call me I'll take you some dame milk :)and help with the little one!

JM said...

Awe...Thanx...

I will bring you guy's some Perminee tomorrow. You don't have eat them right away, they can be frozen. Mmmmmmmm they are very tasty...with sour cream and beleave it or not, vinager and bay leaf.

Anonymous said...

Did You Make Enuff For Superturtle Yoo