Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Bug Zoo

Yesterday was a good day for a day trip into down town Victoria with my 2 ½ old daughter. The sky was blue with clouds here and there, with a high of 25, most likely one of the last days of summer like weather before the onset of fall/winter weather – Rain.

Every once and while I like to walk to the nearest bus stop (35 minute walk from my house) and ride all the way to Victoria (55 minutes). Just to see what the city dwellers are doing. I walk around and sight see, have a Star Bucks coffee, buy a few nick knacks that I really don’t need and meet up with my better half for a ride home. My son loves it when I do one of my little day trips because he gets the whole house to him self for an hour after school; uninterrupted cartoon viewing.

But yesterday was somewhat special for my 2 ½ old because this day started off for her 2 weeks ago with my last day trip to the city. As we waited for the bus to Victoria, there were a couple other people waiting with us, a man and a woman. The man and the women were in heavy conversation but every now and then the man would look and my daughter and smile. Of course my daughter, the socialite, would smile and wave back. As the man got ready to leave the bus stop, he looked at us and walked over. He told me that I have a very beautiful daughter and I should be proud of her. He put his hand into his pocket and pulled out $20.00. He explained that his daughters are all grown up and would give anything to have the baby years back. My daughter reminded him of his girls. He instructed me to take her out and have fun. I was caught off guard with his kind gesture and didn’t want to offend him by saying no, so I took the money. And for two weeks this $20.00 bill has been in my wallet.

As I was walking around Victoria yesterday I found my self out side the Victoria Bug Zoo, and thought what a wonderful way to spend the $20.00 that was given to my daughter. She has been fascinated about bugs lately and I thought this would be something that she would enjoy. Oh man, did she love it. We spent a good 35 minutes looking at bugs. She was most impressed with the Ants. She got to pet a Millipede (the thing was 4 inches long!) and a Giant Walking Stick Bug. She ran from one display to another just looking at all the different bugs. After looking at the bugs we went to the gift store and she picked out an orange stuffed spider as a bug zoo souvenir. She named her spider “Spider.”

So to the stranger with the kind gesture, as to my promise to you on how to spend the $20.00, my daughter had a blast. Thank – you were ever you may be.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awh..... that's so cute.

I guess she'll be in love "Spider Man" eh?

Sadly I can see her love of bugs changing really quickly when she finds one in bed with her crawling over her pillow and under the covers. Suddenly the millipede will become a grotesque monster, and petting one would be simply gross. Yes, those creepy crawlies can really change ones attitude in a heart-beat....

I wonder what Super-Turtle would say about bugs?

How would you feel if she kept an ant farm in her bedroom? ....and it accidentally fell!???? Heh, Heh, Heh...

JM said...

I'd be most unimpressed and make her clean it up.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but would you buy one for her in the first place? :P

JM said...

Well, Tom....

It would depend if she was still into bugs when she is um 20 years old. I am really hoping she will out grow the bug faze. But then again I would be sad to see the bug faze go. It really does suit her.

Anonymous said...

Isn't The Uncle's Job To Look After The Ants? After All Tom Is The Closest Uncle To You.

JM said...

LOL, You read that TOM.... Get on it, in about 12 years.

Anonymous said...

Hummmmm.....

No. Uncle Tom might help buy the ants though.

:D