Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Fog Was Thick Last Night......

Before I can continue my Activities of Daily Living, cleaning up everyone’s used epidermis’s (dust) and fingerprints off of my T.V. and fish tank I really need to get a few things of my chest. Last night was one of those nights where I wish I went go to school. But however, because of my daughter not being 100% health wise I ended up spending two hours in the walk in clinic in Langford (a ½ hour drive from Sooke) for a prescription for her ailment. It is amazing what children pick up!

Deciding to go shopping well I was in town for a few odds and ends, I didn’t realize just how foggy it became as our afternoon turned into evening. After paying for my stuff, I walked out of the store and it was hard to see the parking lot. The street lights looked ghostly in the fog and the cars driving under the streetlights looked like shadows. I almost needed a butter knife to cut through the fog just to find my car. Under these conditions heading back into Sooke would be a long and careful drive. Because of the fog and it almost seems to be the rule of thumb in my area that the fog will spell disaster and some poor family will suffer a tragedy. And sure enough tragedy did strike - five minutes before my house.

Carefully driving along the last road to my house, I was greeted with an R.C.M.P cruiser with lights flashing. A half of kilometer after that cruiser was an ambulance, more cruisers and rescue personal scattered all over the road. (The lights flashing in the night with the dense Fog reminded me of a night club blasting its fog machine) However, oddly enough there was no Fire Trucks. This told me that this was involved a pedestrian. I was the third car from the scene. I was greeted with an officer who explained to me that they would be letting cars go through in about five minutes. Unfortunately those five minutes turned into 45 minutes. The ambulance was in no rush to go anywhere and after a while of waiting I decided to turn off the car and go out side for a cigarette; I ended up watching the rescue personal put what looked like a body bag into the back of the ambulance, and sadly enough the rescue truck that holds the huge Halogen Flood lights came and was set up so the light could shine down on the scene and officers could get the tape to measure the skid marks on the road. From what I understand this is done after a death. What a tragedy! I really do hope with all of my heart that it wasn't a bodybag that I have seen going into the back of the ambulance. I really, really hope that it wasn't.

I had learned well I was waiting from another person (who had a good sorce within the R.C.M.P) who was also waiting to go through the chaos that it was a 70 year old man and it was a hit and run. There are several old men that live where I live and I wonder which one it was. My heart goes out to the family.

For me, this is a grave reminder to all who walk the roads in rural areas to wear the proper reflective clothing so drivers can see you out there. I had a long to talk with my son about this this morning when I drove him school. I just hope that he would remember my words. Of course I would remind him and buy what he needs to be safe, I just hope my words will sink home!

No comments: